Terms of Reference
Ratified by Full Governing Body on 4 July 2022
1. Full Governing Body Terms of Reference
- To set the strategic direction for the school.
- To monitor and review Safeguarding arrangements.
- To ensure the aims and objectives in the School Development Plan (SDP) supports the strategic direction of the school.
- To ensure that the school maintains its Christian distinctiveness through the work of both the ethos committee and FGB permeating all aspects of school improvement.
- To monitor and evaluate progress in the school towards the aims and objectives set and regularly review the strategic framework for the school in light of that progress.
- To agree constitutional matters, including where the Governing Body has discretion.
- To recruit new members as vacancies arise and to appoint new governors where appropriate.
- To hold at least six Full Governing Body meetings per year.
- To have regular written or verbal reports from student council and Ethos committee.
- To appoint or remove the Chair and Vice Chair.
- To appoint or remove a clerk to the Governing Body.
- To establish the Committees and Groups of the Governing Body and their terms of reference.
- To appoint the chair of any committee or delegate this to the committee.
- To appoint or remove a clerk to any committee.
- To suspend a governor.
- To receive reports from any individual or committee to whom a decision has been delegated and to consider whether any further action is necessary.
- To approve the first formal budget of the financial year.
- To keep the Health and Safety Policy and its practice under review and to make revisions where appropriate.
- To review the delegations annually.
Quorum: One-half of the number of Governors in post.
2. Education Committee Terms of Reference
- To support and challenge the school to improve or maintain, the highest levels of achievement for all pupils.
- To support and challenge the school to improve or maintain the highest quality of teaching and learning and provide focused professional development for all staff.
- To support and challenge the school to ensure the curriculum promotes the school vision and values.
- To support and challenge the school to ensure the highest standards of safety, well-being, behaviour and attendance for all pupils.
- To support and challenge the school to ensure highly successful strategies for engaging with parents to the benefit of students.
- To oversee arrangements for individual governors to take a leading role in specific areas of provision.
- To take reports from Named Governors and advise the Full Governing Board where appropriate.
- To agree the school's Inclusion Policy and monitor the school's success in promoting Inclusion in all its facets: SEN, gender, ethnicity, pupil premium and disability.
- To agree and monitor the school's equality policies and implementation of the related equality action plans.
- To agree the Whole School Behaviour Policy
- To report to the Full Governing Body at least three times a year on the work of the committee.
Quorum: Minimum of three.
3. Business Committee Terms of Reference
- To draft the first formal budget plan of the financial year.
- To establish and maintain a 3-year financial plan.
- To consider a budget position statement including virement decisions at least three times a year and to report significant anomalies from the anticipated position of the Governing Body.
- To ensure the school operates within the Financial Regulations of South Glos. Council.
- To monitor expenditure of all voluntary funds kept on behalf of the Governing Body.
- To annually review charges and remissions policies as well as expense policies.
- To review school funds and purchase card at each meeting.
- To make decisions in respect of service agreements.
- To make decisions on expenditure following recommendations from other committees.
- To ensure that Health and Safety issues and risk management issues are appropriately prioritised.
- To continually maintain the School's Financial Value Standard and re-assess annually to ensure the school is meeting that standard.
- To review the staffing structure in consultation with the Head.
- To be responsible for the administration and review of the Pay Policy that applies to all staff.
- To oversee the appointment procedure for all staff.
- To review the Performance Management policy for all staff.
- To oversee the process leading to any or potential staff reductions.
- To keep under review staff work/life balance, working conditions and well-being, including the monitoring of absence.
- To make recommendations on personnel related expenditure.
- To monitor and review the staff development policy.
- To monitor and review all policies relating to personnel matters.
- To report to the Full Governing Body at least three times a year on the work of the committee with specific focus on the following areas:
- School income including the top 5 income streams that make this up
- School expenditure including the top 5 school costs represented as a percentage
- The surplus/deficit between the two and the main factors driving this
- Budget allocated to the top priorities highlighted in the School Development Plan
Quorum: Minimum of three.